ramblings and rantings

a journal documenting my experiences throughout my stay in the USA

Thursday, January 04, 2007

part 006 : the embassy trip

A few days ago AFS called me and asked if I was interested to stay overnight at the home of one of the American Embassy staff. It was a bit last minute but I agreed and so I spent yesterday over at the beautiful home of Shirley Jane Crowley.

A.F.S. and the American embassy planned this ... 'thing'/(trip?) ... for a few students who are planning to go to america so they could have a slight taste of what it's like to live with an american, and will be able to ask questions about the american way of life.
Other than myself, 5 other AFS students also were on the short programme and each were assigned an embassy staff to spend the day with. Shirley's house was very near to the embassy so we half-walked, half drove there. Another friend/coworker(?) of shirley's (whose full name I can't remember) joined us for dinner.

Shirley's home was beautiful. It was a roomy apartment with good view of the petronas twin towers and it was also very nicely decorated. She has two cats, one female one male and both looked very well fed. They were black, with shiny coats. Reminded me of the cat on the cover of Kafka on the shore, except perhaps this pair was a little larger. I slept with the lights switched on because Shirley told me about her friend who slept over and had Sebastian (the cat) lick his (the man's) eyebrow at night. I didn't want to be surprised in the middle of the night by a black, camaflauged cat.

Anyway, I learned quite a lot from my stay and I am thankful to Shirley for taking me in =)
oh well, gotta go. I have to go for an afs orientation in a few hours.

p/s : i'll probably be staying in or somewhere near illinois during my stay in america.

read the introduction ?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home