ramblings and rantings

a journal documenting my experiences throughout my stay in the USA

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

part 001 : the introduction

My name is Dina and I'm a 17 year old girl who lives in Selangor, Malaysia. Formerly from the island of Penang, where I studied in Methodist Girls' School. Right now, I'm a student in SMK Damansara Utama, but not for long. SPM will end in a few days and so will my schooling life.

This blog is where I shall formally write about the experiences that I would have had throughout my trip to the USA. Since this blog is probably going to be dedicated fully to my exchange student experiences, other random news would go to my livejournal.

So at the beginning :

AFS (American Field Service) is better known in Malaysia as ABM (or antarabudaya malaysia). Before you can pack your bags to go overseas, there are a few obstacles you would have to go through beforehand. The first one is the filling of application forms, which is easy enough. Most, if not all students who fill in their application forms are then called for an interview (which is most commonly held at state level). Exchange students from Malaysia are usually between the ages of 15-17 and most of the programs offered cost a bomb to go on and would not only burn a hole in your pocket but would probably set fire to your trousers as well and leave you butt naked with only a cardboard cutout bearing the legend ' Have hope, will travel' to cover your unmentionables with.

Willing as I was to experience cultural diversity and to be thrown in and completely immerse myself in another culture, I was quite aware that my family would have a tough time supporting me financially should I decide to apply for the program.

Imagine my immense relief when I found out that there were scholarships aplenty to be given out.

Imagine my immense horror when I realised that there were also students aplenty who were applying for all of the scholarships.

I applied for the YES scholarship which is a 6 month full scholarship programe to the USA given by the US Department of State. There is also another scholarship to Germany but I didn't apply for that because it is only partial. The scholarships to Japan sounded tempting but they are given out to very few students and I wasn't too sure that I would be able to score a spot for myself (I wasn't too sure about scoring a spot for the YES scholarship either, but there are more scholarships given out through YES than to the ones to Japan)

I knew this was going to be tough.

So in the middle of the year I sent in my applications and after that was called in for an interview with the JPN. It's quite easy to get past the interview if you're applying for a paying program (which means you're under an MD scholarship - Mummy and Daddy sponsored) but if you're applying for a scholarship under AFS then it would be a bit tougher.

I'm really thankful that I got through the first round of interviews. You wouldn't believe how hard it was. All I can remember is that I was seated opposite two tables with two interviewers, one male one female. I was on a solitary chair facing them, like a convict with handcuffs and chains dangling off the armrests. The lights were dimmed and a bright stand lamp was faced towards me and the questions began. I couldn't see the faces of the interviewers but I'm pretty sure that the female interviewer was dressed up dominatrix-esque with leather whip in hand. The male was lurking behind the shadows, but his eyes glowed like fireflies in the Sungai Selangor river. And then they continued on with their persistent questions, and should I fail to answer any of them, a remarkable array of utensils for the purpose of torture were brought forth........

Ok, I exaggerated. It wasn't like that. But anyway, after the first interview I received an email telling me that I was short listed to receive a scholarship and I was to attend a second interview in the AFS office in Damansara Jaya.

That interview wasn't as scary but I didn't do it as well as the first one. I was a nervous babbler. Probably because this time it wasn't the JPN interviewing me, but AFS volunteers.

I was again surprised to be told, a few weeks after the second interview, that I was shortlisted yet again to receive the YES scholarship and I that I had to fill international forms which included a letter from me to my potential host parents, a letter from my parents to potential host parents, necessary particulars, my likes and dislikes, and pretty much nearly everything about myself I could put on paper.

Then a few more weeks of agonizing wait and the results were out. I was one of the recipients of the YES scholarship. But that didn't guarantee me a place in the USA yet.

My forms were sent to the USA and I would only be allowed to go after a through scrutinizing of forms by top secret American CIA agents for the fear that they might be accidentally bringing in Malaysian terrorists into the USA under the pretext of being an exchange student hoping to spread understanding and tolerance among their children but who, in fact have ulterior motives.
Aiyyy, don't worry I'm no terrorist. I'm only joking. Don't stop me in the airport and ship me back to Malaysia.

Anyway, right now I'm waiting for a host family. I should be given an answer in a few days time. Let's hope for the best :)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well well, I wouldn't mind at all if you link me, and in fact, I'm really excited. I wonder what is taking them so long to send us the good news. Hae you heard anything? I didn't. I'm dying too!

By the way, your cousin, Nabil has been my classmate and sat next to me this year. Wow, we're quite connected now!

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home